I
feel my mind go blank as the adrenaline of the moment takes over. A
typical play usually lasts no more than 5 seconds but a condensed form of all
the hours of hard work I put in begins to run through my mind. Every
single step I took, I take once more. Every running swing of my arm, I
swing again. Every bead of sweat I sweat, now take their encore. My
breath cuts off when in the blink of an eye I turn my head to find the ball
already in the air approaching me. Time has now stopped. And I have
all the time in the world to think if I will catch this ball or not. All
of my focus has drained the rest of my body to the point of entire numbness,
save for the tremor of my beating heart muting all auditory stimuli into a lone
rhythmic thump.
One
year before I would have never imagined myself playing such a physical sport
but I found my way in. Just three months ago I saw my teammates playing
their hearts out while I sat on the bench just hoping for an opportunity.
And just one minute ago I was still on that bench. I had no time to ask
myself, why me out of everyone? Am I ready for this moment? Am I going to catch
the ball?
That
isn't what you do in this moment.
Because
of how badly I wanted it I simply decided that this is my turn, my chance to
shine. It was a moment like this that has come to define who I am today
because I will never forget that moment when I reached up and extended both
arms beyond my range to clutch the football in my hands and to have never let
it go.



No comments:
Post a Comment